International skincare company Dermalogica has built on its established hygiene practices to ensure a safe and welcoming skincare experience for staff and customers alike.
Dermalogica is a skincare product company, which also offers skin therapy services through qualified practitioners at independent clinics, salons, spas, retailers and its own flagship stores. Before the coronavirus pandemic, Dermalogica already had extensive education and training programmes in place for skin therapist staff and partners, says Mark Hermann, General Manager of Dermalogica UK and Ireland.
“In response to the pandemic Dermalogica worked with an epidemiologist and experts to develop Enhanced Service Safety Guidelines for skin and close contact service professionals that specifically addressed the risks associated with COVID-19. Clean Touch Certification launched in April to ensure professionals were equipped with protocols and enhanced hygiene practice guidance to deliver skin therapy safely during the current health crisis. We are immensely proud that in the UK almost 12 000 professionals have completed their Clean Touch Certification.
We have used our global Enhanced Service Safety Guidelines to prepare for store openings and have cross referenced with BABTAC and The British Beauty Council’s guidance, and of course ensured compliance with the government’s guidelines for Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19) and Close Contact Services.”
Dermalogica’s Enhanced Service Safety Guidelines include:
- Making treatment beds with freshly laundered linens for each client
- Pre-screening clients and employees for sickness and contact with confirmed COVID-19 cases
- Recommending clients in high-risk, vulnerable groups are not suitable for treatments
- Asking staff not to commute in their uniform, and instead change on arrival at the store
- Maintaining safe social distancing in common areas, with a one-way system in place where necessary
- Ensuring masks are worn in common areas, and wearing clean masks, face shields and aprons during treatments
- Regularly washing and sanitising hands
- Cleaning and disinfecting all equipment and surfaces before use, and professional use products after each use
- Storing clean and dirty items and tools separately
- Decluttering surface areas for regular cleaning, with high-touch areas disinfected at least hourly
- Removing testers from retail areas and only providing therapist controlled one-way testing
- Ensuring consultation, screening, and payment are all digital and contactless, where possible
Mark says “We believe passionately that positive human touch is essential for mental and physical wellbeing and is very much needed after this period of social isolation.
Our professional-grade standards of safety and sanitation make us confident in the decision to reopen Dermalogica services and get back in touch with our customers.”
The government has published COVID-19 secure guidance to support businesses to reopen, and keep workers and customers safe so they feel confident to return. To find out about measures your business needs to implement to reopen safely, there is an online tool, which will direct you to guidelines specific to your type of workplace.
If you run a business and would like to know which of the coronavirus support schemes you are eligible for, you can use the business support finder tool. It takes just minutes to complete and will help you easily find support for your business.